The Perfect Pound Cake Recipe for Every Occasion
Pound cake is a classic dessert that has stood the test of time, bringing joy to countless gatherings and sweetening moments for centuries. Known for its simplicity and delightful taste, this cake is a versatile treat suitable for birthdays, family get-togethers, or a delightful after-dinner dessert. The name “pound cake” stems from its traditional recipe, which typically calls for a pound each of flour, sugar, eggs, and butter. However, modern variations have emerged, adding a touch of flair with ingredients like vanilla extract, baking powder, and milk or sour cream. Whether baked in a loaf or Bundt pan, this cake boasts a rich and buttery flavor that pairs perfectly with fresh fruit, dollops of whipped cream, or a steaming cup of coffee.
- 200 g unsalted butter at room temperature
- 250 g sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 large eggs at room temperature
- 1 egg yolk at room temperature
- 120 g yogurt at room temperature
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 180 g all-purpose flour
- Grease a 9x5-inch metal loaf pan with butter, and preheat the oven to 170°C
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the butter, sugar, baking powder, and salt on medium-high speed until pale and very fluffy, around 4 - 5 minutes.
- Beat in the eggs and yolk. The batter should look very fluffy and creamy.
- Pour in the yogurt and vanilla until totally smooth.
- Add the flour and mix until just incorporated.
- Pour the cake batter into the pan and use a spatula to smooth the surface.
- Bake for 50 - 60 minutes approximately until golden.
- Cool the cake completely, then run a spatula or knife around the sides to loosen. turn the cake into your hand, then place on serving plate and enjoy!
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature for 3 to 4 days.