Orange Bundt Cake
If you are looking for low-sugar baking, then this Bundt cake is for you. It’s low in sugar because it contains raw cane sugar rather than refined white sugar. You can also use ground coconut sugar if cane sugar is not available. This recipe will give you a tall cake with a tender crumb and rich citrus flavor. I added a hefty amount of orange juice and zest to the cake batter to make the citrus flavor loud and clear and rounded it off with complimentary spices like allspice and ginger.
Important notes about this recipe:
- Make sure that you prepare your Bundt pan properly so that the cake releases easily from the pan and shows off the Bundt design. You can read this post on how to prepare your Bundt pan for more details.
- It’s essential to grind the cane or coconut sugar you use in a spice grinder because larger sugar crystals may not dissolve well in the batter. The glaze may also taste gritty otherwise.
Spiced Orange Bundt Cake
For the Cake
- 3 cups (360g) all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp ground allspice
- 11/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tbsp grated orange zest
- 3/4 cup orange juice (2 oranges)
- 11/4 cup (200g) raw cane sugar
- 1 cup (226g) butter
- 3 large eggs
For the Glaze
- 1/2 cup (100g) ground raw cane sugar
- 56 g cream cheese
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp grated orange zest
- 2 tbsp orange juice
For the Cake
- Preheat your oven to 170° C and prepare your bundt pan by brushing it with softened butter and dusting it with flour.
- Whisk flour, allspice, ginger, salt, baking powder, and baking soda together in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, combine orange zest, juice, and vanilla
- Grind the cane sugar until a fine powder. Using a stand mixer, beat the sugar and butter on medium-high speed until pale and fluffy.
- Add the eggs and beat to combine.
- Alternately add the flour mixture and orange juice, starting and ending with the flour. The flour will be three additions and juice two.
- Pour the batter in the prepared pan and bake for 45 - 50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool completely in the pan, loosen the edges and turn it over a wire rack.
For the glaze
- Grind the cane sugar until a fine powder and combine all the ingredients together and mix well. Pour over the top of the cake