Did you know that there is World Nutella Day? And surprisingly enough, it wasn’t created by Ferrero but by a food blogger who loves Nutella. You can read the full story on their website. I’m a Nutella fan myself and create many recipes with it. For example, you can add it to buttercream, fill a chocolate cake with it, or even add it to pancakes. Yum!
To celebrate World Nutella Day this year, I want to share this delicious Nutella stuffed cookie recipe. You will create these chunky, chocolatey cookies, filled with oozing hazelnut spread that no one can resist. Then, add a sprinkle of sea salt flakes to balance the taste and bring it all together. Like many cookie recipes, this will require some preparations, but unlike the 2 – 3 hours of chilling time, all you need is 20 minutes total. First, you need to freeze little bits of Nutella for 10 minutes to stuff them in the cookie dough. Then chill the stuffed cookies for another 10 minutes. These cookies won’t last long in your home, so make them over the weekend and let everyone enjoy them. They are delightful, with a bit of surprise in the center.
Nutella Stuffed Cookies
- 200 g Nutella
- 125 g unsalted butter at room temperature
- 100 g brown sugar
- 50 g caster sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 tbsp milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 150 g all-purpose flour
- 50 g cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- sea salt flakes to sprinkle on top
- Line a baking tray with baking paper. Add the Nutella to a piping bag, cut the end off, and pipe 10 - 12 little rounds of Nutella on the baking tray. Place in the freezer.
- In a mixing bowl or the bowl of a stand beater, cream the butter, caster sugar, and brown sugar, beating on high speed until fluffy for bout 2 - 3 minutes.
- Add the egg, vanilla extract, and milk and beat them all together.
- Add the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt and mix using a spatula until well combined.
- Use a small ice cream scoop to scoop out 10 - 12 cookies - Place in the fridge for 10 minutes.
- Preheat your oven to 170°C. Push a frozen Nutella ball into the cookie ball and use your hands to fold the cookie dough over the Nutella, and repeat.
- Place the cookies spread out on the baking tray, and bake for 15 minutes. Once baked, allow to cool before serving.
- The cookies can be stored in an airtight container for up to three days. The filling will firm up after about an hour of being out of the oven.