Easy Apple Galette Recipe
Confessions of a cake baker: my favorite dessert ever is pie! Yes, you read that right. I love the buttery flakey crust of a good pie, especially if it’s warm and filled with fruit. I’m a huge fan of fruits. The reason why I don’t make pies so often is probably that I can eat them all in one sitting.
Some people find making pie crust a scary experience, it’s pretty straightforward really, and doesn’t need any special equipment. And to make things easier for you, I’ve created a special post all about pie crust techniques which you can read here.
Here I’m making an apple galette recipe which is an easy open-face pastry filled with an apple mixture that has all my favorite fall spices. This pie crust recipe will give you a beautifully flakey and buttery crust that is consistently great every time you make it. So make sure to save this crust recipe for any sort of pie you wish to make. The recipe makes one sheet for an open pie or galette style pie. For double-crust pies, just double the recipe.
Apple Galette Recipe
For the pie crust
- 135 g all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 113 g unsalted butter cold
- 1/2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 tbsp ice-cold water
For the apple filling
- 3 apples peeled and sliced into 1/4 inch slices
- 50 g brown sugar lightly packed
- 1 1/2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- egg wash: 1 egg beaten with 2 tbsp water
To make the pie crust
- Mix flour, sugar, and salt in a large bowl or food processor.
- Add in the butter and pulse the food processor a few times until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. If using your hands, work quickly to cut the butter into the flour.
- Combine vinegar and ice water in a small bowl and drizzle over flour mixture while mixing.
- Knead the dough on a lightly floured surface until it starts to come together.
- Shape the dough into a disc and wrap in cling film to chill for 1 - 2 hours.
To make the apple filling
- Mix all the filling ingredients together, cover, and let it sit in the fridge until you're ready to assemble the pie.
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set it aside.
- On a floured work surface or silicone mat, roll the dough into a 12-inch circle, trim the circle, and transfer the dough to the prepared baking sheet.
- Arrange the apples without the juices into the center of the dough, leaving a 2-3 inch border all around.
- Fold the edges of the dough over the apples, overlapping the dough.
- Brush the crust only with the egg wash.
- Bake until the crust is golden brown, about 30 - 40 minutes. Allow the galette to cool for 15 minutes before serving.
- Make sure your butter and liquid ingredients are ice cold before using.
- You can use any type of apple available.
- The dough can be made 5 days ahead; keep chilled, or freeze up to 1 month.
- The filling can be made ahead of time and chilled in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Serve the galette warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or caramel sauce (or both).
Baking Tools I used to make this recipe: